The Application Process
Thank you for your interest in the Episcopal School of Los Angeles! We know the admissions season can often be a little stressful, a little daunting, but we hope students find our application process enjoyable—we hope they feel inspired to be both creative and reflective—and we’re here to support families every step of the way.
Ours is a small, vibrant community, and we hope to maintain its cohesiveness even as we grow in numbers. ESLA is a place that fosters relationships between students and faculty from dramatically different backgrounds—relationships built on a foundation of openness, curiosity, and sincere respect for one another. With that in mind, we look for students who are driven, thoughtful, and generous—students who are excited to come to school every day, students who are inspired to help us pioneer our programs, and students who are eager to learn from and support their peers. We value exceptional academic achievement as much as we value students who show the potential to flourish in our environment and support our community as it expands. We want students who will build this place, and one another, up to the very best they can be.
Begin Your Application:
1. Students and families should begin the application process by completing an online inquiry form here.
2. They will then receive a password and username via email that they can use to complete our online application here.
Parents or guardians should help fill out all the nuts-and-bolts information, and students should then complete the “Student Questionnaire,” which consists of eight short-answer questions and a longer essay.
The “Forms” page on the online application provides links to five important documents: three letters of recommendation (one from an administrator, one from an English teacher, and one from a math teacher), a transcript release form, and an application fee form / request for waiver. Instructions on how to handle these documents is available on the online application.
ESLA requires ISEE test scores as part of the application process. We provide after-school ISEE test prep at our schoolhouse, free and open to the public. Our ISEE member code is 570278. Please visit the ERB website for information about test registration.
Due Friday, January 13, 2017:
- Completed online application
- Letters of recommendation from administrator, English teacher, and math teacher
- Full student transcript from student’s current school
- Application fee of $100 (or a simple request for a waiver)
- ISEE test scores
If a family is applying for financial aid, this application is also due by January 13, 2017. For more information, please visit our financial aid page.
Often the admissions committee will invite families to our schoolhouse to conduct an in-person interview as part of the application process, though not every applicant receives an interview. Invitations are sent out only after a majority of a student’s application materials have been received.
All decisions will be sent via email. ESLA is a member of the Consortium of Secondary School Admissions Directors (CSSAD). In order to minimize timing dilemmas for applicant families, member schools have agreed to these common notification and reply dates, as well as best practices, for fall 2017 admission:
Notification emails will be sent on Friday, March 10, at 5:00 p.m.
Replies will be due on Tuesday, March 21, 2017
Notification emails will be sent on Friday, March 17, at 5:00 p.m.
Replies will be due on Monday, March 27, 2017
- Once notifications have been sent, schools will not initiate visits, whether for individuals or groups (e.g., through open houses).
- We are mindful of the disruption to students’ education in their current schools that additional visits to prospective schools can cause, so we do not encourage such visits. However, schools that receive requests for newly admitted students and/or parents may grant those requests at their discretion.
- No applicant or applicant family will be contacted by any representative of the school once admissions notification begins. Of course, admitted students and their parents are welcome to contact schools to have questions answered.
If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com.